Monday, May 12, 2008

Cheesecake Pops, Revisited ( or Redeemed by Saint Colleen)

A couple posts ago I documented my first Daring Bakers Challenge, cheesecake pops.   I was not in love with my results and had pretty much decided that, as a new vegan, cheesecake was something that would no longer be a part of my life.

I was wrong!  This revelation came after a little baking accident.  I attempted to make Colleen Patrick Goudreau's Chocolate Cheesecake from The Joy of Vegan Baking, and when my springform pan would not release, I was left with clumps of chocolate cheesecake with burnt edges laying there on a plate...hardly appropriate for bringing to Mother's Day dinner at my Mom's house.  I pouted and threw the clumps in the refrigerator, figuring I would deal with them later.

When we came home that night, I used my ice-cream scooper to scoop little golf ball-sized bites of cheesecake, inserted lollipop sticks, then put them in the freezer for a few hours.  They were delicious!!  I am simply astounded that Colleen Patrick Goudreau could make Tofutti taste good!!  Is there anything this woman can't do?  This is a recipe I will make again, but instead of the springform pan I will use one of my square pans to make scooping easier.  Once again, YAY for Colleen Patrick Goudreau, patron saint of vegan bakers!!



No comments: