Saturday, March 22, 2008

a bakeless Easter and banana lust

I wish I was here posting pictures of some fabulous goodies baked for the holiday tomorrow.  I bake every Easter.  But not this one. :(  We are just finally all getting healthy again, and my house is a crazy mess.  We will be eating at our parents' houses tomorrow and have been excused from bringing a dish this year, probably for fear we will contaminate everyone with whatever was going on around here.

On a positive baking note, I tried a cookie from Alternative Baking Company, who makes vegan cookies.  I had the Peanut Butter Persuasion, and it was the best vegan cookie I've ever had, and also the best peanut butter cookie ever.  

In other food-related news, I've developed an obsession with making sure we always have plenty of bananas in the house.  This is due to my newfound addiction to green smoothies (I use bananas for my base).  This is quite the shift for me, however, since just a few months ago I was still semi-boycotting bananas.  I wasn't buying them except for maybe once each month, and when I did I felt guilty.  I live in Michigan...obviously bananas are not local, nor will there ever come a season when they  will be (although with global warming I probably shouldn't speak so soon).  So again, I am faced with yet another facet of my food dilemma.  What's more important to me...local food...organic, veg*n?  I know that I vote with my dollars and when local food is not available I try to get organic and/or fair trade.  But what is involved in the banana business?  Some days I feel as if I am drowning in research trying to figure out where my money is going.  I wonder if there will ever be a day when I just *know* that something is ethical or not...although I suppose part of the human process involves developing our own system of ethics based on experience and awareness.  So...yeah, bananas.  We can't run out or I start to become very anxious like people do when they are on their last cigarette.  I don't know how I feel about the ethics of ME buying bananas.  Just confused.

No comments: