Thursday, April 10, 2008

a lovely way to eat chocolate cake!

You know you've been doing lots of baking when your 3 year-old tells you, "Mommy, you forgot to bake me a cake today!"

I seem to have had several chocolate cake occasions over the past couple months, so I've been making the Deep Chocolate Vegan Cake from the Moosewood New Classics cookbook.  So yesterday, Luka asked for a chocolate cake and really, who am I to refuse anyone a chocolate cake??  I made the Moosewood cake but decided that this time some sort of icing was in order.  Vegan frosting and I do not get along well...it's something I just can't seem to make work no matter how hard I try.  So instead of going that route, I decided a chocolate topping sauce would be the way to go.  I mixed a bag of Tropical Source non-dairy chocolate chips with a 1/2 can of coconut milk and a little bit of maple syrup and melted it in a pot.  I am too lazy for the double-boiler thing so I just kept an eye on it so it wouldn't burn and did lots of stirring.  I flipped the warm cake upside down and let it cool for a few minutes, then poured the warm chocolate sauce over it...YUM!!  It turned out like a pudding cake, the sauce kept the cake moist and seeped around the sides drowning the whole thing in chocolate goodness.  It was better eaten with a spoon than a fork.  I refrigerated it after we all had some and then today after lunch I had a (big) piece and it also tastes really good cold.  I'm having one of those days where the boys are making me a little crazy, so chocolate cake is awfully nice to have around! :)

No comments: